Maine has announced formation of a seven-member search committee to help determine the new head coach of the Black Bears’ hockey program.
Tim Whitehead was relieved of his duties on April 9. Bob Corkum was named interim coach the following day.
The search committee will begin its duties immediately and according to a Maine press release, will have candidates named within two months.
“Our aspiration with this coaching search will be to find that individual who can best build upon the significant successes of both Shawn Walsh and Tim Whitehead and rekindle the collective spirit, energy and support of the entire Black Bear Hockey Nation,” said Maine president Paul Ferguson in a statement.
Dr. George Jacobson, professor emeritus of biology, ecology and climate change and the university’s former NCAA faculty athletic representative, will chair the search committee.
Joining Jacobson on the search committee will be:
- Cherie Damon, president and long-time member of Friends of Maine Hockey, recipient of the 2011 Friends of Maine Hockey Volunteer of the Year Award and parent of a former player.
- Dr. Nic Erhardt, Maine assistant professor of management in the Maine Business School, faculty liaison to the men’s hockey team and member of the Athletic Advisory Board. Erhardt played semi-professional hockey in Sweden.
- Peter Metcalf, Maine alumnus, Portland business leader in financial advising and former professional hockey player. Metcalf was a defenseman when the Black Bears went to the 1999 national championship and a captain of the 2002 team that was national runner-up.
- Dr. Richard Powell, Maine associate professor of political science and director of the Peter Madigan ’81 Congressional Internship Program and the Kenneth Palmer Maine State Legislative Internship Program. Powell has been involved in hockey as a player, coach and administrator for more than 40 years in Michigan and Maine.
- Jon Sorenson, Maine alumnus, Massachusetts business leader in the energy industry, member of business and engineering advisory Boards, co-chair of Black Bears of Boston, founder of the Boston Executive Club of the University of Maine and a strong Maine hockey supporter.
- Janine Tremble, Maine alumna, marketing specialist with Maine Savings and president elect of the Black Bear Board of Advisors.