Voters are going to have an interesting choice to make today when they set about picking the Number One Division III team in the nation. Plattsburgh, which has been on top of the poll for the past six weeks, lost to Skimore in its only action last week. Number Two UW-Superior also lost its only contest. There are at least four and possibly more teams that one could make a case for as Number One, and you can as easily make a case against each.
– Plattsburgh (12-1-2) – Lost its first game of the season. Shouldn’t the Cards move down?
– UW-Superior (15-2-1) – Was beaten by five goals by St. Scholastica. How can the Jackets be Number One?
– St. Norbert (14-4) – Won its only game but has four losses.
– St. Scholastica (14-3-1) – Beat Superior handily but has lost to St. Norbert.
– Middlebury (10-2-1) – Might get some votes, but I don’t think they can jump over four teams.
– Elmira (11-4) – Four losses, and see Middlebury, except make that five teams.
– UW-Stout (12-5) – Won both games last week, but five losses.
– Adrian (15-1-1) – SOS. Sorry.
– Manhattanville (10-2-2) – A couple of good wins but a weaker SOS than most teams ahead of them.
– Curry (11-3-1) – Beat Middlebury, but not a strong SOS.
– Oswego, Hobart, Hamline, Point, Norwich, NEC – At least four losses.
It’s going to be interesting. I’m kind of pulling for CSS. They’ve never been at the top of the USCHO.com poll.