Ron Fogarty’s recent appointment as head coach at Adrian college is another in a growing list of former BG assistant coaches who have moved into D-III coaching jobs. Here’s the list I came up with – feel free to send me more if I left anyone off:
- Assistant Buddy Powers to RIT (1988)
- Player and assistant coach Tom Pratt to New England College (1990)
- Player and assistant coach George Roll to Oswego (1997)
- Player and assistant coach Wayne Wilson to RIT (1999)
- Player and assistant coach Brian Hills to Geneseo (2001)
- Player and assistant coach Dennis Williams to Neumann (2004)
- Assistant coach Ron Fogarty to Adrian (2006)
And for good measure, Eric Hoffberg left the head coaching position at RIT for an assistant job at Bowling Green in 1999, essentially exchanging positions with Wilson.
I’m sure other schools (BC comes to mind) have placed this many coaches around college hockey. But it’s interesting that a school in Western Ohio has produced a number of coaches in the ECAC West and SUNYAC.