John Gaudreau (Boston College) and Vince Trocheck (OHL’s Saginaw Spirit) scored two goals apiece as the U.S. National Junior Team defeated Slovakia 9-3 Monday at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship in Ufa, Russia, to earn a berth into the quarterfinal round as the No. 3 seed in Group B.
U.S. at the World Juniors
At Ufa Arena, Ufa, Russia
• Thursday, Dec. 27: U.S. 8, Germany 0
• Friday, Dec. 28: Russia 2, U.S. 1
• Sunday, Dec. 30: Canada 2, U.S. 1
• Monday, Dec. 31: U.S. 9, Slovakia 3
• Wednesday, Jan. 2: Quarterfinals: U.S. 7, Czech Republic 0
• Thursday, Jan. 3: Semifinals: U.S. 5, Canada 1
• Saturday, Jan. 5: Gold-medal game: U.S. 3, Sweden 1
“A lot of guys that haven’t been scoring found the net tonight, like John Gaudreau and Vince Trocheck,” said U.S. coach Phil Housley in a news release. “Our power play was sharp tonight, as was our penalty kill. Still, we need to improve our discipline and stay out of the penalty box as we look ahead to the quarterfinals.”
Cole Bardreau (Cornell), Team USA captain Jake McCabe (Wisconsin), Mike Reilly (Minnesota), Jacob Trouba (Michigan), for the fourth consecutive game, and Alex Galchenyuk (OHL’s Sarnia Sting) also found the back of the net for the United States.
Team USA begins play in the medal round on Wednesday, Jan. 2.