A pair of returning finalists and five other players who were nominated last season are among 28 player announced Friday as nominees for the 2015 Mike Richter Award for the nation’s top Division I men’s goaltender.
Minnesota’s Adam Wilcox and Northeastern’s Clay Witt are back after being named finalists last season, when Massachusetts-Lowell’s Connor Hellebuyck was the inaugural winner.
Boston College’s Thatcher Demko, Providence’s Jon Gillies, Michigan State’s Jake Hildebrand, Ferris State’s CJ Motte and Union’s Colin Stevens were nominated last year as well.
Here are the 2015 nominees:
|Michael Bitzer||Bemidji State||Fr|
|Thatcher Demko||Boston College||So|
|Matt Ginn||Holy Cross||Sr|
|Kyle Hayton||St. Lawrence||Fr|
|Jake Hildebrand||Michigan State||Jr|
|Charlie Lindgren||St. Cloud State||So|
|Zane McIntyre||North Dakota||Jr|
|CJ Motte||Ferris State||Sr|
|Matt O’Connor||Boston University||Jr|
|Cal Petersen||Notre Dame||Fr|
|Jamie Phillips||Michigan Tech||Jr|
|Stephon Williams||Minnesota State||Jr|
The nominees were chosen by head coaches of the 59 Division I men’s teams. The finalists and winner will be selected by a committee of coaches, scouts and media members, and the finalists will be announced on March 18.
Candidates must meet five criteria:
• Candidates must display outstanding skills on the ice
• Candidates should be in good academic standing at an NCAA college or university
• Consideration should be given to academic achievement and sportsmanship
• Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules; be full-time students at an NCAA college or university; and complete 50 percent or more of the season
• Consideration should be given to the candidate’s activities in the community
The award is presented by Let’s Play Hockey and the Herb Brooks Foundation.