There were just five games in the week leading up to the Christmas break, but two teams picked up big non-conference sweeps.
Robert Morris continued its best start ever with a home sweep of Colgate. The Colonials got a goal from Nathan Longpre in overtime to win 3-2 on Saturday, and then came back with a 40 save performance by Brooks Ostergard to clinch the sweep with a 3-1 win on Sunday. Robert Morris is now 12-4-2 on the season, including a perfect 5-0 out of conference.
In the only conference action, Rochester Institute of Technology scored four third period goals to erase a 1-0 deficit and defeat Canisius 4-1. The Tigers go into the Christmas break in first place in the AHA.
The picks had the weekend off, and will resume on Jan. 7, 2011. There’s some good hockey to be played in the meantime, though:
- RIT and Robert Morris square off at the Consol Energy center in Pittsburgh on Dec. 30 as part of the NHL Winter Classic. It’s more than just another AHA game with first place on the line.
- Connecticut hosts the UConn Holiday Classic on Dec. 29 and 30, featuring Holy Cross, Bowling Green and Princeton. The semifinal game between UConn and Holy Cross doubles as an AHA conference game.
- Army participates in the Catamount Cup with host Vermont as well as Harvard and Ohio State. The tournament is Jan 1 and 2.
- Mercyhurst travels to Dartmouth for the Ledyard Bank Tournament on Dec 30 and 31. Boston College and Colgate are also in the mix.
- Three non-conference games round out the schedule, with Merrimack traveling to Army (Dec. 30) and RIT (Jan. 1), and Sacred Heart hosting St. Lawrence on Jan 3.
Have a great holiday and catch some action if you can.