Every college team has its ups and downs, but we’re at the point in this season where some trends are beginning to emerge. Over the past few seasons we’ve seen some teams that had previously been doormats ride up and have breakout seasons. This year is no exception. You have to wonder which team will be the next Neumann, which is ranked in the Top Ten just three seasons removed from a 4-17-2 record. Here’s some candidates:
- Skidmore (4-0). Tough weekend coming up against Bowdoin and Colby.
- Castleton State (2-1): Ditto – also hosting Bowdoin and Colby. The Spartans have already won two games – they won four all last season.
- Nichols (6-1-1) – Two seasons ago they finished 4-17-2.
- Franklin Pierce (3-3-1) – The Ravens won exactly one game last season.
- Wisconsin-Stout (7-1-1) – The Blue Devils have always hovered around the .500 mark. This could be a breakout year for them
- Brockport (4-6-2) – The Golden eagles won four games all of last season.
- Cortland (5-4-1) – Also won four games last season.
That said, for every team winning more games, there’s a squad losing more games. Perennial powers like Plattsburgh, Babson, Elmira, St. John’s, St. Thomas, New England and Williams are off to slow starts. Which ones will recover and which squads off to uncharacteristically good starts will keep it going? Time will tell.